Judge E. Susan Garsh made the ruling under the abatement ab initio doctrine, saying the legal principle compelled the court to vacate the conviction.
Under the legal doctrine, he technically died an innocent man. Consequently, it also complicates efforts to recoup monetary damages and file a civil lawsuits against Hernandez.
The prosecutor plans to appeal the judge’s decision, arguing that the doctrine is inapplicable because Hernandez committed suicide, The Times reported.
SOURCE: New York Times
Good 'Ol Days: Barack Obama Was Nominated For President By The DNC 11 Years Ago
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 8
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 8
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 8
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 8
5. Two TermsSource:Getty 5 of 8
6. Michelle and Barack Host a State DinnerSource:Getty 6 of 8
7. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 7 of 8
8 of 8
"The future rewards those who press on. I don't have time to feel sorry for myself. I don't have time to complain. I'm going to press on."— BrooklynDad_Defiant! (@mmpadellan) February 18, 2019
-- President Barack Obama
Happy #PresidentsDay, Mr. President! We ❤️ you!@BarackObama pic.twitter.com/xhQEb4OG1U