While Americans continue to debate climate change, European scientists said there’s no doubt that climate change made Hurricane Irma stronger, according to Bloomberg News.
When these increasingly powerful storms strike, minority and poor communities are located in areas that are the most vulnerable to flooding and dangerous winds, The Washington Post noted. That was true in Houston, where multifamily dwellings, which house mostly Black and Hispanic families, were constructed in floodplains and floodways.
Wonder criticized climate change deniers, calling them “blind or unintelligent.”
Beyonce, a Houston native, had a more personal message about the widespread damage from Hurricane Harvey. She too blamed climate change for increasingly intense storms around the world, and underscored that we are all in this together.
“Natural disasters don’t discriminate. They don’t see if you’re an immigrant, Black or White, Hispanic or Asian, Jewish or Muslim, wealthy or poor,” she said. “It doesn’t matter if you’re from [Houston neighborhoods] Third Ward or River Oaks, we’re all in this together.”
ABC News reported that Hurricane Harvey is blamed for at least 70 deaths, and Irma, which followed days later, caused the deaths of at least 22 people in the United States. Property damage from the two storms is estimated at between $150 billion and $290 billion in Texas and Florida.
The telethon raised more than $44 million for the hurricane victims.
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
Beyonce, Stevie Wonder Call Out Climate Change Deniers At ‘Hand In Hand’ Telethon was originally published on newsone.com