A child day care center in Whitehall, Pennsylvania is on edge after receiving a threatening letter telling the owner to fire an African-American employee who is “too dark,” The Allentown Morning Call reports.
Whitehall police Chief Michael Marks told the news outlet that he has never seen such an offensive letter in his two decades as an officer, adding that his department takes this investigation “very seriously.”
Bridge 2 Creative Learning Center owner Dominique McKelley received the letter on Oct. 3 in an envelope with no return address.
“This is not OK,” McKelley told The Morning Call. “It’s gone too far — this hatred. Now you’re targeting a day care center?”
She used social media to express outrage about the letter, in which the writer claims to be a parent who plans to remove his or her child from the facility because of the dark-skinned teacher.
Before posting it online, McKelley reluctantly shared it with her staff, which includes several Black emplyees. Her staff united in support of their targeted co-worker.
The center, which cares for 130 children, is on alert, McKelley told the news outlet. Workers now leave the facility in pairs so that no one is an easy target.
“This is what I call invisible violence,” the police chief told The Morning Call.
He added that perpetrators typically feel emboldened to act when implied threats go unanswered. That’s why it’s important to unify and condemn the racially charged message.
Marks said investigators are unlikely to find the anonymous suspect, who could face harassment and ethnic intimidation charges.
SOURCE: Allentown Morning Call
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
Threatening Letter Tells Pennsylvania Day Care To Fire ‘Dark Skinned’ Teacher was originally published on newsone.com