In a shocking report, a review of Education Department data found that 49 percent of African-American students who borrowed for their undergraduate education are in default on their federal student loan. Those who entered college in the 2003-04 academic year owed more than they originally borrowed 12 years later.
Adding to this crisis, the Trump administration is expected to end an Obama-era federal student loan forgiveness policy for those who were defrauded by for-profit colleges, The Hill reported.
Education Secretary Betsy DeVos is considering a plan that offers only partial debt relief for students.
The Obama administration banned some schools, such as ITT Technical Institute, last year from enrolling students who received federal aid. That came in the aftermath of investigations concluding that some career colleges mislead students about their job prospects and charged high tuition rates, while providing substandard education.
Under the Obama debt forgiveness policy, defrauded students were fully forgiven. According to The Hill, the program impacted tens of thousands of students and would have erased approximately $550 million in loans.
It’s not lost on many observers that students sued President Donald Trump’s own for-profit school—Trump University. Before taking office, the president agreed to settle the lawsuit for $25 million. The former students claimed that the school misrepresented the quality of education and instructors at the real estate school—leaving many of them in major debt.
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
DeVos Plan Is A Setback To Black Student Loan Borrowers was originally published on newsone.com