Beneath the surface of Tyrese Gibson’s emotional—some have called it a psychological—breakdown appears to be a father who cares passionately about his child. It helps debunk the stereotype that Black men are disproportionately negligent fathers.
The good news for Tyrese is that officials dropped their child abuse investigation of him, which triggered the actor’s video breakdown, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.
In their custody battle for 10-year-old daughter, Shayla, Tyrese’s ex-wife, Norma Mitchell Gibson, claimed that the entertainer “pushed our daughter to the ground, pinned her face down, put his knees on her back, grabbed her hands with one arm and beat her with the other,” according to the AJC
Gibson pleads in the video: “Don’t take my baby. This is all I got. Don’t take my baby, OK? I’ve been away from my baby for two months.”
Several daytime TV shows parade Black men who are deadbeat fathers. There are many of them out there for some in the media to exploit for rating—ultimately perpetuating the stereotype.
However, according to the Centers For Disease Control and Prevention’s 2013 “National Health Statistics Report,” Black fathers who live with their children are more attentive than fathers of other demographics.
According to the CDC, 70 percent of those Black fathers were more likely to bath, dress, diaper or help their kids with toilet training, compared to 60 percent of White fathers and 45 percent of Hispanic fathers.
A higher percentage of Black fathers also escorted their children to and from activities and helped their kids with homework.
Tyrese has found unconventional ways to show love for his daughter. People magazine reported that he hired a plane in October to fly a banner over Shayla’s school that read “No matter what, daddy loves you Shayla.” His ex-wife wasn’t too happy with that display.
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
Tyrese’s Emotional Episode Helps Debunk Stereotype Of Negligent Black Fathers was originally published on newsone.com