Ayrton Little offers a simple piece of advice on how to get into Harvard University: “Always work hard!” he told NewsOne. The 16-year-old Opelousas, Louisiana student attends school year-round, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. “You have to be dedicated to greatness,” he added.
There’s another magic ingredient to his success—having a mother who is your “number one supporter” and who always stresses the importance of education. Her high expectations motivated Ayrton to make her proud.
The Ivy League bound student didn’t tell his mom that he applied to Harvard. “I wanted to surprise her by showing her the man I’ve become,” he said. And what a surprise it was:
On Tuesday, the TM Landry College Prep senior opened his decision letter online. The room, filled with classmates and family, erupted in joy when Ayrton saw the good news. It was a double celebration for his family because Ayrton’s brother had been accepted into Stanford University on Friday.
He intends to major at Harvard in applied math with a minor in computer science. After that, Ayrton plans to work on Wall Street. The teen also wants to start a nonprofit organization to reach back and help other kids in struggling communities like his to achieve their academic goals.
Cheers Obama! Barack's Top 15 Beer Moments
1. Ice ColdSource:Getty 1 of 15
2. Guten Tag!Source:Getty 2 of 15
3. Irish EyesSource:Getty 3 of 15
4. Game TimeSource:Getty 4 of 15
5. Chow DownSource:Getty 5 of 15
6. Cheers!Source:Getty 6 of 15
7. Drunk In LoveSource:Getty 7 of 15
8. More Guinness PleaseSource:Getty 8 of 15
9. When In Florida...Source:Getty 9 of 15
10. Friends Who Drink Together...Source:Getty 10 of 15
11. Making UpSource:Getty 11 of 15
12. Cheers, MateSource:Getty 12 of 15
13. Bottoms UpSource:Getty 13 of 15
14. Ohioans Do It BetterSource:Getty 14 of 15
15. Salut!Source:Getty 15 of 15
A 16-Year-Old Black Student Shares What It Took To Get Into Harvard was originally published on newsone.com