At least six of the eight bullets police shot into Stephon Clark‘s body hit him in the back, according to a new report. A forensic pathologist hired by Clark’s family to perform an autopsy independent of Sacramento County officials made the announcement Friday afternoon.
According to the Sacramento Bee, the autopsy found that Clark’s body had “four entry wounds in the lower part of Stephon’s back; one in the side of his neck, with an exit wound elsewhere in his neck; one in the back of his neck; one under an armpit entering from the side, with an exit wound on the other side of his body; and one in the outside of a leg.”
Police shot a total of 20 bullets at Clark.
The autopsy was performed by renowned pathologist Dr. Bennet Omalu, whose work examining concussions in the NFL was documented in a motion picture that starred Will Smith.
“The proposition that he was facing the officers is inconsistent with the prevailing forensic evidence,”Omalu said during a press conference announcing the autopsy results. “He was facing the house, with his left to the officers. He wasn’t facing the officers. His left back was facing to the officers.”
Omalu added that Clark was not killed on the spot.
“It was not an instant death,” he said, which lends support to the accusation that police could have tried to save Clark’s life but instead muted their body cams immediately following the shooting.
Clark was shot and killed the night of March 18 in his grandmother’s backyard after a police chase. The father of two young children was just 22 years old.
Justice For Stephon Clark: 20 Photos Of Protest And Heartbreaking Moments In Sacramento
1. Stephon Clark's Grief-Stricken BrotherSource:Getty 1 of 20
2. Stephon Clark's Brother Speaks To ProtestersSource:Getty 2 of 20
3. Stephon's Clark Brother Sends Poignant MessageSource:Getty 3 of 20
4. Protesters Take To The StreetsSource:Getty 4 of 20
5. Black Lives Matter Activists Join ProtestSource:Getty 5 of 20
6. BLM Shouts For JusticeSource:Getty 6 of 20
7. Protesters Call For End To "Genocide" Of People Of ColorSource:Getty 7 of 20
8. Protest Signs Speak VolumesSource:Getty 8 of 20
9. Activists Crowd The BlockSource:Getty 9 of 20
10. Women Stand For ClarkSource:Getty 10 of 20
11. Stopping "Cops Who Kill"Source:Getty 11 of 20
12. Clark Remembered At WakeSource:Getty 12 of 20
13. Clark HonoredSource:Getty 13 of 20
14. Stephon Clark's Brother Takes A StandSource:Getty 14 of 20
15. Hundreds Attend Sacramento City Council Meeting On Clark's DeathSource:Getty 15 of 20
16. Sacramento Kings Shout Out StephonSource:Getty 16 of 20
17. Demonstrators Protest Clark's Fatal Police ShootingSource:Getty 17 of 20
18. BLM Makes A PointSource:Getty 18 of 20
19. Protesters Begin To Make Noise About ClarkSource:Getty 19 of 20
20. Protests Erupt Over ClarkSource:Getty 20 of 20
Stephon Clark Autopsy Shows Police Shot Him In The Back, Forensic Pathologist Says was originally published on newsone.com