Former POTUS Barack Obama has kept a pretty low profile this year, as it marks two years since he officially left office.
But a recent follow-up revealed Obama still has his hand on the pulse of what’s going on after it was discovered that he wrote a congratulatory letter to Danielle Metz, a woman he granted clemency to during his second term in office.
Metz was offered clemency in 2016 after being sentenced to three consecutive life sentences, plus 20 additional years, once she was convicted of drug trafficking. Metz had served 23 years of her sentence and had obtained her GED during her time in prison.
Text “ERICA”to 52140 to join the Get Up! Mornings w/ Erica Campbell mobile club for exclusive news. (Terms and conditions).
Metz made national headlines last week after she spoke to The Hechinger Report, recalling her past history and how she was able to find her calling by enrolling in Southern University where she studies social work. During the interview she revealed she made the Dean’s List, by maintaining a 3.75 GPA.
Metz, a resident of New Orleans, also appeared at EssenceFest 2019 where she shared her story. A few days after revealing her academic achievements, she received a letter from Obama congratulating her on making the Dean’s list.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
“I am so proud of you, and am confident that your example will have a positive impact for others who are looking for a second chance,” Obama wrote. “Tell your children I say hello, and know that I’m rooting for all of you.”
In other Obama news, Rapid City in South Dakota unveiled a bronze statue of Obama which will be added to a gallery of bronze statues made in the likeness of past U.S. presidents.
The statue which initially just featured Obama by himself, was changed to depict the energy of the night Obama made his victory speech in 2008 after securing the presidency against Sen. Jon McCain. In the imagery of that evening, Obama was seen holding hands with his daughter Sasha as he walked onstage in Chicago to a crowd of thousands waiting to congratulate the first Black president of the United States.
James Van Nuys, the artist who created he statue, told the Rapid City Journal that he found it necessary to add Sasha to capture the joy of the moment.
“The idea of a man and his daughter was meaningful to me because my daughter was literally my best friend,” Van Nuys said. He spent between 400 and 500 hours constructing the statue, he said.
Van Nuys spent over two years working on the piece until it was completed. The statue will be on display in perpetuity among the City of Presidents exhibit in Rapid City.
This story was originally posted on madamenoire.com.
Best Of Barack Obama & His Great Smile [PHOTOS]
1. This is the “work is done” face.Source: 1 of 33
2. That guy should watch out, Obama’s smile is contagious!Source: 2 of 33
3. Smile, it’s a beautiful day.Source: 3 of 33
4. Obama and his smile are at it again.Source: 4 of 33
5. He’s got some great pearly whites.Source: 5 of 33
6. He has many reasons to flash his smile.Source: 6 of 33
7. *Waves to the haters.*Source: 7 of 33
8. Black tie and a smile is the best combination.Source: 8 of 33
9. Obama and Biden: Bros for life.Source: 9 of 33
10. Hesitant smile?Source: 10 of 33
11. We moved “forward” with Obama in 2012.Source: 11 of 33
12. After waving to his haters, he waved to his supporters.Source: 12 of 33
13. What’s up there? Oh, another reason to smile.Source: 13 of 33
14. Hey there, people of America!Source: 14 of 33
15. Smile, you’re on Candid Camera.Source: 15 of 33
16. Is Obama cheesy or nah?Source: 16 of 33
17. America the beautiful with Obama’s darling smile.Source: 17 of 33
18. During one of speeches, the president made sure to smile to his supporters.Source: 18 of 33
19. Bill can learn a thing or two from Obama’s smiling game.Source: 19 of 33
20. Say cheese!Source: 20 of 33
21. President Obama is happy. Shouldn’t we all feel the same?Source: 21 of 33
22. Smile!Source: 22 of 33
23. “Hey you…smile!”Source: 23 of 33
24. Let’s all be happy like the president.Source: 24 of 33
25. This is an “LOL” moment in real time.Source: 25 of 33
26. He’s not laughing at you…or is he?Source: 26 of 33
27. Smiley aren’t we?Source: 27 of 33
28. Ha!Source: 28 of 33
29. Waves and smiles.Source: 29 of 33
30. The “Oh, I see what you did there” look.Source: 30 of 33
31. Obama has plenty of reasons to smile..he has Michelle.Source: 31 of 33
32. The wind won’t break his smile.Source: 32 of 33
33. Doesn’t he have the cheesiest smile ever?Source: 33 of 33
ALSO TRENDING ON GETUPERICA.COM:
- Erica Campbell To Release Her Book “More Than Pretty” In September
- Keke Palmer On “Surviving R. Kelly”: “The Whole Thing Was Eye-Opening, Painful, Sad, Disappointing And Heartbreaking” [VIDEO]
- Black Doctor Says American Airlines Forced Her To Cover ‘Inappropriate’ Outfit With Blanket
Barack Obama Congratulates Woman He Granted Clemency To After She Made The Dean’s List was originally published on getuperica.com