President Barack Obama will deliver his farewell speech tonight in Chicago in front of thousands of his supporters at McCormick Place.
Now that we are approaching the final days of his presidency, Roland Martin asked the NewsOne Now panel of guests what they would like to hear President Obama say to his supporters during his farewell address.
Carmen Berkley, Civil, Human and Women’s Rights Director for the AFL-CIO, said, “I hope he talks about all of the amazing things that he has done over the past eight years. I’m tired of people talking about what Barack Obama didn’t do.”
Berkley highlighted the nation’s first Black president’s work on transforming the American health care system, restoring the millions of jobs lost during the Great Recession, his work on education and his attempts to help the African-American community.
While Berkley and the other NewsOne Now panelists discuss a nostalgic address, Martin hopes the President will use his final major address as a rallying cry to his supporters.
Martin said, “I would hope that the President would use this as a call to arms” and challenge his supporters to “stay in this game and don’t just give up” now that his tenure in office is over.
Prior to the end of the segment, Berkley agreed with Martin: “Even though the federal government is about to go through some challenges and changes, I still feel like it’s Black America’s responsibility to fight back and to protect all of the policies that came from the Obama Administration.”
Watch Roland Martin and the NewsOne Now panel discuss President Obama’s farewell address in the video clip above.
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
Should President Obama’s Farewell Speech Be A Call To Arms? was originally published on newsone.com