A Florida jury convicted former Democratic Congresswoman Corrine Brown Thursday of 18 felonies involving financial fraud that could put her in prison for the rest of her life, the Florida Times-Union reports.
Brown, 70, had spent 24 years in Congress and was an outspoken leader in her party. Investigators describe her as someone clearly living above her means. She was suspiciously spending an average of $1,438 each month above her income, according to investigators.
The prosecution said Brown received $141,000 in untraceable cash over several years. Part of the scheme involved sham charities and her aides transferring money through multiple bank accounts.
According to the newspaper, each of the 18 counts of fraud or conspiracy carries a sentence of up to 20-year in prison. She’s expected to face sentencing in little more than three months. In the meantime, Brown remains free.
SOURCE: Florida Times-Union
In Honor Of President's Day, Here Are Photos That Will Make You Miss Barack Obama
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 14
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 14
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 14
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 14
5. Two TermsSource:Getty 5 of 14
6. Michelle and Barack Host a State DinnerSource:Getty 6 of 14
7. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 7 of 14
8. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 8 of 14
9. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 9 of 14
10. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 10 of 14
11. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 11 of 14
12. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 12 of 14
13. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 13 of 14
14.14 of 14
Former Congresswoman Corrine Brown Found Guilty Of Fraud was originally published on newsone.com