Big Shiz, also known as LaShawn Daniels, talks about where the name “Big Shiz,” came from. The first time he flew out to California and he was scared to death of flying. When he and music partner Rodney Jerkins got off the plane, a man named Frank Edwards, whom had never met, greeted him warmly and exclaimed “Shiz!” He made him feel at home and welcome, and made sure he was taken care of during his stay. Then, he passed away abruptly, about a week later.
He says ever since that time, the nickname given to him by such a pure, kind-spirited man, stuck. Now, he says he thinks of it as not only a tribute to Frank, but as a reminder to the standard by which he seeks to operate. He talks about “Big Shiz” as a nod to ourselves as a growing, evolving beings, and an intentional departure from the formalness of his first name, “LaShawn.” Check out this exclusive video to hear more in this on “Get Up! Mornings With Erica Campbell.”
Listen to “Get Up! Mornings With Erica Campbell” LIVE every weekday from 6/5am C.
- White Officer Who Killed Unarmed Black Man Will Get $344,000 In Back Pay
- Black Lives Matter Is ‘Just Getting Started’ Protesting Stephon Clark’s Killing
- Thirsty Hacker Demands $51,000 To Release Atlanta’s Computers In Crazy Cyberattack
- Don’t Have Cash For The Offering Basket? Don’t Worry, These Churches Have Apple Pay
- From Rally to Power: The Civic Obligation of Young Black Leaders
- Everything You Need To Know About Stephon Clark
- Woman Gets No Jail Time After She Recklessly Lied About Three Black Men Raping Her
- Jonathan McReynolds Talks About Making Music People Can Relate To [EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW]
- Anthony Brown Explains How God Pushed Him To Do The “I Got That” Music Video [EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW]
- Austin Bomber’s Death Didn’t Stop Black Victim’s Family’s Fear, Grief And Police Mistrust