Canada’s Prime Minister Justine Trudeau probably woke up this morning thinking how much he misses President Barack Obama. On Wednesday, President Donald Trump boasted to his supporters about lying to Trudeau.
Trump’s comments came during a 30-minute private fundraising speech to donors in Missouri, according to the Washington Post, which obtained an audio recording of the event. He told attendees how once in a meeting, the president insisted to the prime minister that the United States runs a trade deficit with Canada—which is not true.
Trudeau probably longs for the days when he had a true ally in the White House. Obama and Trudeau met formally for the first time in 2015 at the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation Summit in the Philippines. Obama reportedly joked with Trudeau, who was just 43 at the time, about starting to dye his hair before it turned gray. They soon developed a “bromance” that Trudeau will never have with Trump.
During the meeting with Trump, the prime minister rejected the president’s claim about trade between the two countries. “He said, ‘No, no, we have no trade deficit with you, we have none. Donald, please,’ ” Trump said, imitating Trudeau, whom the president described as a “nice guy, good-looking guy.”
No doubt, Trudeau was probably thinking to himself at the meeting that Trump is either lying or ignorant about information that he should know.
In his fundraising speech, Trump seemed to threaten South Korea that he would pull U.S. troops out of the country if he doesn’t get his way in trade negotiations. He also took shots at other allies, including Japan and the European Union.
Here’s a look back at the Obama—Trudeau years:
In Honor Of President's Day, Here Are Photos That Will Make You Miss Barack Obama
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 14
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 14
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 14
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 14
5. Two TermsSource:Getty 5 of 14
6. Michelle and Barack Host a State DinnerSource:Getty 6 of 14
7. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 7 of 14
8. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 8 of 14
9. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 9 of 14
10. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 10 of 14
11. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 11 of 14
12. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 12 of 14
13. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 13 of 14
14.14 of 14
Here’s Another Reason Canada’s Prime Minister Misses Obama was originally published on newsone.com