Leaders of a Georgia city will begin a search to replace its police chief after the current one was fired amid complaints about racial profiling.
Officials in Forest Park neglected to officially reveal why they voted 3-2 to immediately terminate Dwayne Hobbs and turn over the reins to an interim chief on Monday (Oct. 1). However, the firing comes as the department has been called out for racism. Hobbs, who had been with the department for 45 years, vehemently denied the profiling accusations, ABC affiliate WSB-TV reported.
It is likely that city leaders did heavily consider the racial profiling claims in making their decision — a rare move given that officers and chiefs are generally protected by its departments and don’t always face disciplinary courses of action.
The reactions to Hobbs’ termination were mixed, with some people defending him and others calling for change. Hobbs reportedly said he was confused as to why the Forest Park council was thinking about ending his career despite the racial profiling complaints.
The termination presents the opportunity for city leaders to bring in candidates of color for their police chief search. Whether or not they and the department will favor a chief of color to replace Hobbs is unclear. However, the community could overwhelmingly support the hiring of an African-American chief and take it as a sign that the department would work on overcoming its past of racial profiling complaints.
There have been several stories of police departments hiring Black chiefs for the first time in recent months. The Seattle police department hired Carmen Best in July and Charlottesville brought on RaShall M. Brackney in May.
Happy Birthday Al Sharpton! Iconic Photos Of The Good Reverend Fighting For Black Lives
1. Happy birthday!Source: 1 of 21
2. 'Justice For All' civil rights marchSource:WENN 2 of 21
3. New York City's Central Park Jogger TrialSource:Getty 3 of 21
4. Sharpton with families of Michael Brown and Eric GarnerSource:WENN 4 of 21
5. THE DIALLO CASE TRIALSource:Getty 5 of 21
6. Interfaith Ministers' March For JusticeSource:Getty 6 of 21
7. Trayvon Martin rallySource:WENN 7 of 21
8. Operation Black VoteSource:Getty 8 of 21
9. Sharpton And Eric Garner's FamilySource:Getty 9 of 21
10. Martin Luther King Day : A Freedom MarchSource:Getty 10 of 21
11. We Stand United NYC RallySource:Getty 11 of 21
12. Sharpton and "Central Park 5" victimSource:Getty 12 of 21
13. Sharpton with ObamaSource:Getty 13 of 21
14. Sharpton and Meek MillSource:Getty 14 of 21
15. 48th Annual Congressional Black Caucus Foundation ConferenceSource:Getty 15 of 21
16. Aretha Franklin's FuneralSource:Getty 16 of 21
17. National Action Network 25th Anniversary ConventionSource:WENN 17 of 21
18. Interfaith Clergy Visit Texas Detention CenterSource:Getty 18 of 21
19. 50th anniversary of the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr.Source:Getty 19 of 21
20. Stephon Clark's FuneralSource:Getty 20 of 21
21. Reform: Bringing Injustice To LightSource:Getty 21 of 21
City Leaders Fire Police Chief After Department Accused Of Racial Profiling was originally published on newsone.com