The legendary Chaka Khan pulled out of honoring her close friend and former background singer, Whitney Houston, during the Grammy Awards as originally planned.
After Houston’s unexpected death Saturday in the Beverly Hilton Hotel, Grammy producers immediately reached out to Jennifer Hudson and Chaka to perform a tribute to Houston. Though she initially agreed, after careful consideration Khan issued the following statement via Twitter:
“As I grieve the loss of my friend and ‘little sister,’ I don’t feel it appropriate to perform at this time. Continue to pray for the family.”
In a recent interview on CNN with Piers Morgan, Chaka Khan says she can’t understand why Clive Davis held a pre-Grammy party just hours after Whitney Houston died.
- UPDATE: Whitney Houston’s Funeral Reportedly Scheduled for This Saturday
- Gospel Artists Comment on The Passing of Whitney Houston
- OUR HISTORY MAKERS: Frederick Douglass
- Whitney Houston’s daughter rushed to hospital, Later Released
- Whitney Houston’s Death Overshadows Grammys But Show Still Goes On