Traditional observance of Memorial Day has diminished over the years. Many Americans nowadays have forgotten the meaning and traditions of Memorial Day and use it as the unofficial kick off to summer.
Memorial Day was originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance for those who have died in our nation’s service in the Armed forces.
Remember all those who gave and continue to give their lives for our freedom. Enjoy some hero-honoring events this Memorial Holiday here.
At many cemeteries, the graves of the fallen are increasingly ignored, neglected. Most people no longer remember the proper flag etiquette for the day. While there are towns and cities that still hold Memorial Day parades, many have not held a parade in decades. Some people think the day is for honoring any and all dead, and not just those fallen in service to our country.
There are a few notable exceptions. Since the late 50’s on the Thursday before Memorial Day, the 1,200 soldiers of the 3rd U.S. Infantry place small American flags at each of the more than 260,000 gravestones at Arlington National Cemetery. They then patrol 24 hours a day during the weekend to ensure that each flag remains standing. In 1951, the Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts of St. Louis began placing flags on the 150,000 graves at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery as an annual Good Turn, a practice that continues to this day. More recently, beginning in 1998, on the Saturday before the observed day for Memorial Day, the Boys Scouts and Girl Scouts place a candle at each of approximately 15,300 grave sites of soldiers buried at Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania National Military Park on Marye’s Heights In 2004, Washington D.C. held its first Memorial Day parade in over 60 years.
But what may be needed to return the solemn, and even sacred, spirit back to Memorial Day is for a return to its traditional day of observance. Many feel that when Congress made the day into a three-day weekend in with the National Holiday Act of 1971, it made it all the easier for people to be distracted from the spirit and meaning of the day. As the VFW stated in its 2002 Memorial Day address: “Changing the date merely to create three-day weekends has undermined the very meaning of the day. No doubt, this has contributed greatly to the general public’s nonchalant observance of Memorial Day.”
NeNe Leakes Is Looking Seriously Snatched
1. NeNe SLAYED the Golden Globe Awards in 2016 in a stunning Walter Collection gown.Source:Getty 1 of 16
2. NeNe shows just a hint of skin in sexy black in 2016.Source:Getty 2 of 16
3. NeNe always serves in a good black gown.Source:Getty 3 of 16
4. NeNe shows off a daring split at NYFW in 2015.Source:Getty 4 of 16
5. We love how NeNe embraces her curves, here in a plunging neckline.Source:Getty 5 of 16
6. NeNe Leakes visits 'Extra' at their New York studios at H&M in Times Square in April of 2015.Source:Getty 6 of 16
7. NeNe breaks fashion rules in horizontal stripes.Source:Getty 7 of 16
8. NeNe looking fabulous in olive tones.Source:Getty 8 of 16
9. NeNe embraces her curves in a sexy, off-the-shoulder LBD.Source:Getty 9 of 16
10. NeNe shows off her curves in red on the runway in 2014Source:Getty 10 of 16
11. NeNe LeakesSource:Getty 11 of 16
12. NeNe shows off her fab legs in 2014 post Met-galaSource:Getty 12 of 16
13. NeNe looking fab in DiorSource:Getty 13 of 16
14. NeNe rocks a fab blue blazer and heels.Source:Getty 14 of 16
15. NeNe loves a good leather pant.Source:Getty 15 of 16
16. NeNe LeakesSource:Getty 16 of 16
Happy Memorial Day Fallen Heroes, Weekend of Events Here [VIDEO] was originally published on kissrichmond.com