For the past five presidential inaugurations, it’s been a tradition for D.C. marching bands to perform during the ceremony. In January, President-elect Donald Trump may have to do without a local band because not one has applied to be a part of his inaugural parade, reports CBS D.C.
A spokeswoman for D.C. public schools said no local band applied to perform at the inauguration slated to take place on January 20. Some schools cite budget restrictions and others said that they didn’t have enough band members. Many remained silent about why they decided to sit this inauguration out.
“I think everybody knows why and no one wants to say and lose their job,” Howard’s band director John Newson told CBS D.C.
Bands in the D.C.-area aren’t the only ones that have decided to skip the inaugural parade. According to NBC Washington, bands in neighboring counties,including Prince George’s County and Arlington County have chosen not to apply. Trump’s inaugural committee can select other musicians to perform at the ceremony.
Does any of this surprise you? Sound off in comments.
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
DC Marching Bands Will Not Perform At Trump Inauguration was originally published on newsone.com