The couple stayed off the grid during their break with minimal sightings as they enjoyed quality time in Palm Springs, California and the British Islands. As guests of billionaire businessman and Virgin Group founder, Richard Branson, the Obamas spent a few days on Moskito Island.
In a post on Virgin’s website Branson noted Obama’s love for extreme water sports, especially since he was not allowed to engage during his eight-year term.
So in good fun, Branson offered the former POTUS a challenge.
“…could Barack learn to kitesurf before I learned to foilboard? We agreed to have a final day battle to see who could stay up the longest,” Branson wrote.
The two men spent a few days learning their respective sports until it was time to go to battle on the last day of the visit. In the end, Branson says Obama claimed the victory.
“We were neck and neck until the last run on the last day, when I got up on the foilboard and screamed along for over 50 metres, three feet above the water,” Branson wrote. “I was feeling very pleased with myself, only to look over and see Barack go 100 metres on his kiteboard! I had to doff my cap to him and celebrate his victory.”
After all he has done for the world, I couldn’t begrudge him his well-deserved win,” Branson wrote.
But according to Branson, the challenge isn’t over. “On his next visit, we plan to do the long kite over to Anegada together. Next time, may the best (British) man win!” Branson wrote.
Must Watch: A Young Black Girl Reading Her Letter From Barack Obama Is The Best Thing You’ll See Today
10 Reasons We Are Thankful For President Barack Obama
1. We’ll never forget the moment President Obama said Trayvon Martin could have been his son.1 of 9
2. And let’s not forget President Obama was the man behind capturing and killing Al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden.2 of 9
3. He also rejoiced when the Supreme Court ruled in favor of protecting same-sex marriage.3 of 9
4. He always gets his hands a little dirty.4 of 9
5. He genuinely, wholeheartedly, loves the kids.5 of 9
6. Plus, he’s all about b-ball.6 of 9
7. He made two of our favorite players the happiest men on Earth.7 of 9
8. … And what a beautiful example for men on how to treat the ladies in your life.8 of 9
9. There will never be another as suave as President Obama & for that alone, we’re thankful.9 of 9
Watch: Barack Obama & Richard Branson Enjoy A Kitesurfing Battle On Vacation was originally published on newsone.com