While most photos depict Tubman as an elderly woman, a newly unearthed picture shows a much younger Tubman and was quickly acquired by the Library of Congress and the Smithsonian’s National Museum of African-American History and Culture.
It’s part of a 44-photo collection that also includes the only known photo of John Willis Menard, the first African-American man elected to the U.S. Congress.
“We are so thrilled.The institutions have agreed to joint ownership and will digitize the photographs as soon as possible. The intention is to make them as widely available as possible through online images everyone can use,” Gayle Osterberg, a Library of Congress spokeswoman, told the Washington Post.
The album was sold at the Swann Auction Galleries in New York for $130,000.
Tubman is of course known from escaping slavery in 1849 and was at the helm of the underground railroad as she helped others who were enslaved.
Lonnie Bunch, the founding director of the museum says, “We are pleased and humbled to work with the Library of Congress to ensure that this rare and significant collection will be preserved and made accessible to the American public.”
SOURCE: Washington Post
11 Reasons We Are Thankful For President Barack Obama
1. We’ll never forget the moment President Obama said Trayvon Martin could have been his son.Source: 1 of 10
2. And let’s not forget President Obama was the man behind capturing and killing Al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden.Source: 2 of 10
3. He also rejoiced when the Supreme Court ruled in favor of protecting same-sex marriage.Source: 3 of 10
4. He always gets his hands a little dirty.Source: 4 of 10
5. He genuinely, wholeheartedly, loves the kids.Source: 5 of 10
6. Plus, he’s all about b-ball.Source: 6 of 10
7. He made two of our favorite players the happiest men on Earth.Source: 7 of 10
8. … And what a beautiful example for men on how to treat the ladies in your life.Source: 8 of 10
9. There will never be another as suave as President Obama & for that alone, we’re thankful.Source: 9 of 10
10. He gave us hope…Source: 10 of 10
Library Of Congress And Smithsonian Team Up To Buy Rare Photo Of Harriet Tubman was originally published on newsone.com