Constituents have roughed up Republicans, and even some Democrats, at recent town hall meetings. But that’s not the case for California’s freshman senator.
The Sacramento Bee reports that Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) received lots of cheers Friday at her first town hall meeting. Harris’ constituents are pleased with her tough stance against the Trump administration and with her voting record.
A mostly progressive crowd of about 800 people gathered at Holman United Methodist Church in Los Angeles to hear their senator’s report on Washington and to ask her questions.
Harris, who’s getting a lot of buzz as a potential 2020 presidential candidate, vowed to oppose President Donald Trump’s budget agenda if it includes public spending for a wall along the Mexican border. She also promised to fight the president’s anti-immigration policies.
“We are not going to buy into this administration’s fear mongering and vilifying whole communities of people,” Harris told the crowd. “I’ve personally prosecuted everything from low level offenses to homicides. I know what a crime looks like and an undocumented immigrant is not a criminal.”
Harris warned her constituents that Trump’s Justice Department plans to revitalize the war on drugs, which ravished communities of color through mass incarcerations.
“We need to watch this [Attorney General] Jeff Sessions, who is talking about resuscitating all this. We have come too far to go back, to go backward on fundamental criminal justice issues, like whether or not this is a public health matter or a criminal justice matter,” she stated.
Indivisible, the liberal group organized nationally to resist Trump’s agenda, has criticized some Democrats at town halls for being too passive. But Indivisible gives Harris high marks.
Stephen Carcieri of Indivisible Los Angeles told The Bee that he likes Harris: “She’s been pretty good on the votes.”
“Progressives have no objection at all to what she’s doing,” added Barry Rosenbaum of Santa Monica.
SOURCE: Sacramento Bee
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
Kamala Harris Gets Big Thumbs-Up At First Town Hall Meeting was originally published on newsone.com