As security continues to tighten across the country, police in Richmond and security teams here are also not taking any chances as many roads have been closed in downtown Richmond on Lobby Day and this week. As a result, residents who live in the area surrounding Capitol Square and downtown, should expect a few travel disruptions.
The following roads will be closed from 6 a.m. on Jan. 17 to 6 p.m. on Jan. 18:
- 9th Street between E. Main Street and E. Broad Street
- 10th Street between E. Cary Street and Bank Street
- East Main Street between 14th Street and 9th Street
- Bank Street between 14th Street and Governor Street
- Franklin Street between 8th and 9th Streets
- Franklin Street between 7th and 8th Streets
- East Grace Street between 8th and 9th Streets
- East Grace Street between 7th and 8th Streets
- 12th Street between Cary Street and Bank Street
- Monument Avenue between Meadow Street and Lombardy Street
- Allen Avenue between W. Grace Street and Park Avenue
Additional roads may be closed temporarily as needed.
Signs also prohibiting firearms have also been placed throughout the city to inform those who may gather that firearms are prohibited at permitted events.