Would President Barack Obama’s reelection campaign benefit from him supporting gay marriage, TheRoot asks.
SEE ALSO: Top Ten Myths About 2012
Obama is arguably the most gay friendly president in U.S. history.
His repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,” and passage of a federal law that further extends protections of LGBT people firmly solidifies his support from gay community.
However, one issue he has been slow to support-at least officially-is that of gay marriage. TheRoot says there would be benefits and risks behind such an endorsement:
If President Obama expressed support for marriage equality before the 2012 elections, there would be both benefits and risks. He would surely excite some of his supporters, especially those who feel that he too often shies away from bold stances in favor of measured pragmatism and common ground. On the other hand, some voters who support Obama but still oppose marriage equality may abandon the president over this issue. That leaves the president with two choices: Endorse marriage equality now or wait and play it safe until he is re-elected.
What do you think? Would supporting marriage rights invigorate Obama campaign? Or would such an endorsement derail his reelection hopes? Check out the rest of the article here. Share your thoughts with us below on the message board using your Twitter or Facebook profile to log in and leave a comment.
- Shocking! See Why Riva Tims Is FORCED To Withdraw Law Suit !
- Book Your Cabin Today for the 2012 One Love Gospel Cruise
- Countdown to the 27th Annual Stellar Awards Weekend
- Occupy the Dream Rolls Out National Steering Committee Monday, January 16, 2012 @ 10am – Federal Reserve Bank
- The Independent Gospel Artist Alliance Preps for 2012 Conference
- Are Republican Front Runners Racist?
- Dorothy Norwood 2012 Recipient Of The Ambassador Bobby Jones Legends Award
- Police Shoot & Kill 8th Grade Gunman in Texas
10 Easy Bible Memory Verses For Kids
Kirk Franklin Release New Album FATHER’S DAY
Bishop Carlton D. Pearson Dies At 70 After Battle With Cancer
Bishop Noel Jones Proposes to Longtime Lady Love Loretta after being together for 28 Years
Jekalyn Carr Announces Long Awaited New Self-Titled Album! New Album out Friday, October 20th
How To Live A Full Life | Dr. Willie Jolley
The Group Fire Talks New Christmas EP, Teases A Deluxe Edition For 2024
Legendary Clark Sister Jacky Clark Chisholm Introduces Her ‘ Jacky?’ Album! [LISTEN]