The entire northeastern coast will be enduring some serious weather throughout the rest of this week. Temperatures could reach 104 degrees in some parts of Virginia and DC. With this monstrous heatwave so early into the summer, here are ways you can be prepared to battle this very serious and dangerous temperatures.
1. Slow down and avoid strenuous activities. If you must do strenuous activities, do it during the coolest part of the day, which is usually in the morning between 4AM and 7 AM.
2. Stay indoors as much as possible. If air conditioning is not available, stay on the lowest floor, out of the sunshine.
3. Wear lightweight, light colored clothing. Light colors will reflect away some of the sun’s energy. Also cover the head with a hat or head-wrap. Keeping the head cool will help your body stay cool.
4. Drink plenty of fluids, regularly and often. Your body needs fluid to keep cool. Drink, even if you do not feel thirsty. Drink Water! No Beer!
5. Electric fans do not cool the air, but they do help sweat evaporate which cools the body.
6. Avoid foods that are high in protein, which increase metabolic heat. Avoid using salt tablets unless directed to do so by a physician.
7. Don’t hesitate to contact local authorities to find out where your local cooling stations are located.