Gwen Carr, mother to Eric Garner, and Ashley Sharpton, the youngest daughter of Al Sharpton, were among a group of demonstrators arrested outside of Trump Tower in New York on Tuesday night, the New York Post reports.
According to NBC New York, about 30 protesters gathered to speak out against President Donald Trump’s SCOTUS pick, Neil Gorsuch. Trump nominated the Colorado native and federal appeals judge during a Tuesday primetime press conference at the White House.
Carr and Sharpton were among 11 people taken by handcuffs for blocking traffic, NBC New York reports.
“In an act of civil disobedience and in the tradition of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Eric Garner’s mom and others were arrested tonight…over President Trump’s SCOTUS nominee Neil Gorsuch,” Sharpton’s spokeswoman Rachel Noerdlinger wrote in a statement.
Sharpton, who heads the Youth Huddle group in her father’s National Action Network, tweeted ahead of the resistance on Tuesday evening.
Carr was catapulted to national attention after her son Eric was killed during a police-chokehold incident on July 17, 2014. She, along with Sybrina Fulton, Cleopatra Pendleton-Cowley, Lucia McBath, Maria Hamilton, Lezley McSpadden and Geneva Reed-Veal, each tragically connected by the loss of their children due to police brutality or excessive force, head “The Mothers of The Movement,” an effort to curb gun violence and violent interactions with law enforcement.
20 Pics Of Celebrities Protesting (PHOTOS)
1. Kanye West joined Russell Simmons for the Occupy Wall Street protests.1 of 19
2. Jay Z and the Brooklyn Nets stand in solidarity with Eric Garner.2 of 19
3. Dave Chappelle posed with his hands up for Mike Brown on the red carpet.3 of 19
4. J. Cole joined the protests in Ferguson after Mike Brown’s death.4 of 19
5. Q-Tip joined the Mike Brown protests in New York.5 of 19
6. Beyonce and Jay Z supported Trayvon Martin’s parents after his death.6 of 19
7. Russell Brand joined the Occupy Wall Street protests.7 of 19
8. Not only did Lupe Fiasco join the OWS protest, but he named a song after it.8 of 19
9. Mark Ruffalo joined the human climate campaign.9 of 19
10. Russell Simmons was joined by Katy Perry and Russell Brand during OWS.10 of 19
11. Jay Leno protested the Brunei Hotels in Beverly Hills.11 of 19
12. Susan Sarandon joined OWS protests.12 of 19
13. Al Sharpton always gets his voice out to the masses during times of protest.13 of 19
14. Rev Run, Minister Benjamin Chavez Muhammad, and Alicia Keys at the Mobilization for Education Hip-Hop Summit Action Network’s protest of Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s proposed education budget cuts.14 of 19
15. Anne Hathaway protested at Union Square for the Occupy Wall Street campaign with her boyfriend Adam Shulman.15 of 19
16. Actor Sean Penn and Reverend Jesse Jackson marched with activists during an anti-war rally.16 of 19
17. Spokesperson Hayden Panettiere at a conference for her Save the Whales campaign.17 of 19
18. John Lennon and Yoko Ono staged a ‘bed-in for peace’ and intended to stay in bed for seven days as a protest against war and violence in the world.18 of 19
19. Chris Brown, Wale, Nelly and a few more celebs posed with their hands up in support of Mike Brown.19 of 19
Eric Garner’s Mom, Al Sharpton’s Daughter Arrested During SCOTUS Protest Outside Trump Tower was originally published on newsone.com