During the Democratic National Committee chair debated aired Wednesday on CNN, Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Minn.) said President Donald Trump has committed an impeachable act and called for an investigation.
Ellison’s statement was in response to a question about where he stands among congressional Democrats who are divided on the issue. One faction calls for immediate impeachment proceedings, while the other side believes it’s premature.
“I think that Donald Trump has already done a number of things which legitimately raise the question of impeachment,” Ellison said.
He said Trump violated the Constitution’s Emoluments Clause, which bans presidents from receiving payments from foreign countries. The progressive Democrat pointed to the many foreign diplomats who stay at Trump’s District of Columbia hotel.
Impeachment, he said, is “not only about Donald Trump” but about the “integrity of the presidency.”
He continued: “We need to begin investigations not to go after Donald Trump but protect the presidency of the United States to make sure nobody can monetize the presidency and make profit off it for his own gain.”
Good 'Ol Days: Barack Obama Was Nominated For President By The DNC 11 Years Ago
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 14
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 14
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 14
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 14
5. Two TermsSource:Getty 5 of 14
6. Michelle and Barack Host a State DinnerSource:Getty 6 of 14
7. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 7 of 14
8. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 8 of 14
9. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 9 of 14
10. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 10 of 14
11. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 11 of 14
12. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 12 of 14
13. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 13 of 14
14.14 of 14
Watch: Keith Ellison Calls For Trump Impeachment Probe was originally published on newsone.com